Re: Suggested solutions to certificate handling/generation for server/clients using SSL/TLS.

* Herman Robak (herman@skolelinux.no) [040829 12:46]:
> 	Suggested solution
>
> During installation, a CA will be created.  Maybe before all the SSL-
> enabled servers are installed, maybe after; that depends on how we
> aim to solve the certificate signing.
>  If the CA is in place _before_ the SSL-enabled servers, they can
> have a pre-install script generate a signing request.  If the CA
> responds, and signs the request, the server gets a properly signed
> certificate.  If not, it can fall back to a self-signed certificate.
> dpkg-reconfigure ought to repeat this process, in case the CA was
> not working at install time.
>  Design consideration: The servers could "pull" their certificates
> by sending a signing request, or the CA could "push" by putting the
> certificate and the private key in a predetermined place.

are you working on this?

it is an important bit of infrastructure and needs care and
dedication over some time. I would certainly appreciate it if you
could commit to it.