Re: localization-config uploaded (former locale-config-skolelinux)

On Δευ 16 Αυγ 2004 13:06, Frans Pop wrote:
> - The test is for nl_NL@euro.
>   However, d-i currently does not (yet) set the locale to
> nl_NL@euro, but to nl_NL. Do the tests still work in that case?
>   I think the same goes for other euro countries.

Hm, i copied the values from the former skolelinux package. I suppose
I could add double entries for the locale values sans @euro or some
technique to disregard it... Though, to be frank, I'm confused as to
which countries should/are using the @euro extension. Shouldn't every
locale that needs the euro character but does NOT use UTF-8, include
the @euro extension? hm...
Oh, how easier it would all be if we everyone used UTF-8 :-)

> - For xfree86-kbd the LAYOUT is set to 'nl'.
>   This looks to me to be a real problem as most keyboards in the
> Netherlands have a "US Intl." keyboard layout. Only a minority have
> the Dutch layout. In fact, the default in kbd-chooser is the US
> layout for NL. So IMHO there should be a test of the keyboard
> layout based on the layout already selected by the user in
> kbd-chooser and not a straight test based on location.
>   If a choice _must_ be made, I'd prefer the default to be 'us'!

one idea that springs to mind is to read the corresponding debconf
values from console-data, though this might not be done right away...
and it might not be a 1-1 mapping, console-data to XFree86 I mean.

> - Setting value for dictionaries-common to 'nederlands (Dutch)' and
> for ispell to 'dutch' is only OK if package idutch is installed.
> How is that guaranteed?

Well, in the case of dictionaries-common, it only preseeds the debconf
value, so that when dictionaries-common is installed it figures out
what to do itself, and it seems to work. On the case of ispell
though, this is only used in woody install (the script sarge/ispell
is a dummy) for use in skolelinux, so we should not really worry
about it for long :-)

> - One of the strengths of D-I IMHO if that it is very easy to
> install a system that has English as main language but Netherlands
> as country, and thus has correct defaults for e.g. timezone and
> mirror. I would not like to loose that.

well, as far as sarge is concerned, i don't touch locale or timezone
entries, i leave these to d-i and base-config. The locale and
timezone scripts are taken from the skolelinux script which did for
woody, what d-i does for sarge. Again these scripts are dummies for
sarge. So you can choose english as language and the package will do
nothing for you (because it will not find the locale entry in its
tables, eg en_NL).

> I'm not sure how valid these comments are as I only have a very
> rough understanding of how this package would be used.

Still, thanks for the feedback :-)
At least I know I should change the default values of nl_NL.

Konstantinos