Re: stars: Star data catalogues being used cannot be distributed modified and license concers of other data/ files

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 03:19:23PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> Since there's been no response on this issue, and it's a matter of
> legality rather than of more mutable release policy, I'm scheduling
> stars to be removed from testing.

I think that's a wise decision. The move in order to use the 'yale' package
available in non-free could have been easily done by the maintainer (I've
done it for several other astronomy packages myself)

> education-astronomy seems to depend on stars. I'd be grateful if this
> dependency could be removed.

Please notice that there a number of astronomy packages available, some of
which use the Hipparcos catalogue and have cleared up legal issues (such as
spacechart, starplot, kstars or openuniverse). Other's (xephem, celestia
and stars) have not taken appropiate action wrt to these legal issues.

Just my 2c

Javier