Re: Q: USB-Stick at Workstation? (plus considerations: media station)

Am Mittwoch 28 April 2004 18:55 schrieb Ralf:
> Dear developers,
> hi folks,
>
> today I failed to mount an usb stick on teacher's work station - and I
> did it several times on other systems!

Dear Group,

someone has to do the answering - now, it is myself.

Well, this is only a suspection, after I solved the problem for a different
PC:

1) usbdevfs must be mounted (check with mount). If it is not, you can manually
enter
 mount -t usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb

or you add a line like this in the /etc/fstab (not before proc!):
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults,users,rw,devmode=0666 0 0

2) given that, you can check one of theses commands:
lsusb			(should list something!)
usbview		(nearly the same, but KDE)
hotplug usb	(if installed, detects new devices on USB)

If none of the above works, there must be a hardware failure.

3) mount your usbstick like this:
mount /dev/sda1  /mnt
(in case there are other scsi devices, it will be sda2 or up).

Any further comments?
Regards
Ralf