Re: What do you want to do

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> after a week about 26 people are on this list. I'd like
> to know you better in order to try to organize the work
> as much a possible and in order to know where I have to
> make efforts.
>
> It would be great if each of you could respond (either
> privately or publicly if you prefer) to those questions :
>
> 1. Are you a debian developer ?

No. Tried becoming one once, but did not have enough time.
I have read the Debian Policy though...

> 2. If no, would you like to become a developer in order to
>    maintain some packages ?

Yes. Already maintaining a few Debian package but which are
not included in the Debian distribution.

> 5. Are you willing to write/translate documentation for educational
>    software ?

I am activaly working on two Java tools, and a Java library for
chemoinformatics and bioinformatics. One tool already supports localization,
they other does not yet...

> 6. What area in the big educational landscape are of special interest
>    for you (math, physics, biology, languages, etc.) ?

chemistry is my main point of interest.

> 7. Freestyle question. What else would you like to do within DebianEdu ?

Activaly work on catogerizing chemistry tools in Debian.

>    What do you expect from DebianEdu ?

So many. In the short run I expect DebianEdu to develop categories
in which educational software can be classified. Not just by type of science
but also by level and the age of the 'students' to which the software is
aimed.

Also, DebianEdu needs to define a policy stating the standards to which
educational software must comply. Those are, internationalizable,
integratability with other educational tools, good supportive documentation
for teachers, good documentation on theory behind the stuff teached in the
software. The latter means that I expect DebianEdu to develop or package
(open content) books too! ( but this is a more long term goal, as it takes
much more effort).

In the longer run I expect DebianEdu to package new tools and adapt those
tools to meet DebianEdu standards.

> At the same time, if you can put a little resume on your personal page
> on the wiki by registering under http://wiki.debian.net/WikiUsers that'd
> be great. :) It's optional though.

Hope to do that soon.

> 8. Are you part of other education-related projects ? What is your
>    position in those projects (leader, contributor, lurker, ...) ?

The Chemical Development Kit: http://cdk.sf.net/
I am one of the maintainers of this project (=leader).
Java Library with two main goals: make writing chemical tools easier,
and means for teaching chemoinformatics and bioinformatics.

Jmol: http://jmol.sf.net/
Developer (contributor).
Tool for visualization of 3D chemical models, and animations of several
types. It includes a Java applet for viewing these on the internet.

Dictionary on Organic Chemistry (in Ducth mostly): http://www-woc.sci.kun.nl/
Maintainer (leader)
Website in form of dictionary aimed at secondary school students mostly for
learning chemistry. Currently, we are in the proces of moving the source code
*and* data to SourceForge, but this is far from completed. In the end, I will
make a Debian package for it. Though most data is in the Dutch language,
it includes translations for words (not descriptions) to English, French,
German, Spanish, Frysian, Italian...

JChemPaint: http://jchempaint.sf.net/
Developer (major contributor ;)
Java tool for drawing 2D chemical structures.

Egon