Re: What do you want to do

hi,

Raphael Hertzog wrote on Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 02:45:15PM +0200:
raphael>
raphael> 1. Are you a debian developer ?

No.

raphael> 2. If no, would you like to become a developer in order to
raphael>    maintain some packages ?

Yes.

raphael> 3. Do you have packaging skills/experience ?

Yes, though very preliminary.

raphael> 5. Are you willing to write/translate documentation for educational
raphael>    software ?

Partly Yes. I would be glad to improve user-experience by adding
graphical illustrations, etc., to documentations, manuals and other
parts of the project.

raphael> 6. What area in the big educational landscape are of special interest
raphael>    for you (math, physics, biology, languages, etc.) ?

I hail from India. Why is Ms-Windows or other proprietary software more
easy to learn for people? because they have studied/used such software in
their schools. My primary aim is to take necessary efforts and bring
about a change in our country's school syllabus to introduce Free
softwares to students. By this two things can be achieved:

  1. While they are still studying the students would have some spare
  time and would contribute to free software projects.

  2. Whn they become professionals they would prefer free software
  because they had been exposed only to free software tools.

raphael> 7. Freetyle question. What else would you like to do within DebianEdu ?

I donot know about MacroMedia flash, etc., because primarily I haven't
used them. But I would love to see some sort of a free vector graphics
visualisation tool (not necessarily an swf player) that would enable us
to easily create walk-throughs and presentations for educational
purposes. This would enable teachers to create demos for explaining
scientific applications. (Hint, hint, build something on top of
plotutils?)

raphael>    What do you expect from DebianEdu ?

I would like to demo DebianEdu to some schools in my neighbourhood and
convince them that the Debian GNU/Linux operating system can be...

  * a good drop-in replacement for their commercial/proprietary OSes and
    that they would be able to do _everything_ they have been doing in
    with their existing OS.
  * a cost-effective replacement
  * a source of knowledge for students to learn (because the source code
    is available)

>From the Debian-Edu project's perspective I would like to contribute my
skills as a graphics artist and PHP/PHP-Gtk/Shell scripting programmer
to whatever the project demands. In other words I would like to serve
any requirements that this project needs from my profile.

1. As a graphics artist I would like to create images and make sure the
children find this OS nice and eye-candy to use :)

  http://wiki.debian.net/EyeCandiness/

2. I would also be interested in contributing my efforts to customizing
the debian-installer for this purpose.

3. I would also want to make a debianEduDemo that would be a fully
functional, complete debianEdu system that boots off a CD so that it can
be easily used for demoing.

  -Suraj
--
| Her keen looks on her loose bangles,tender shoulders and             |