Re: Terminal server under Debian-Edu

On 13 Sep 2002 17:20:16 +0200
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> [Stefan Padberg]

> > 2. X-Terminals:
> > I understand by this that the workstations of the pupils start with
> > a local Linux but the graphical login and the home directory are
> > supplied by a X-Server-Server. The X-Server-Server should also work
> > as an application server. Only a browser, an email-client and some
> > office programms should start from the local machine.
>
> The closest thing we got is the workstation profile, where user
> authentication and user/group information is fetched using LDAP, and
> the home directories are mounted from the server.  All programs run
> locally on the workstation.
>

> > 4. Terminal Server:
> > In some situations this is a usefull solution. But I don't think it
> > is a general solution because it seems to be a problem, if a whole
> > classroom is booting from the TS over the net at the same time. For
> > all other sirtuations a Terminal Server is a fine thing. DebianEdu
> > should include it, too
>
> LTSP works just fine.

LTSP may be fine but there is still some glue code to write between
LTSP, DebianEdu and the end user installing the terminal server and the
thin clients. Integrating LTSP into DebianEdu should not be that
difficult but what is interesting is to write/find some intermediate
programm to ease the auto-configuration of the thinClient when they boot
(from floppy for example) for the first time. Although this is not
DebianEdu specific I am willing to contribute to this specific part.

Hilaire Fernandes