Introducing Open Slate

Aloha from Hawaii!

Since 1998 I have been interested in using computers in organizations -- schools
and businesses -- in a way that is different from what has been done so far. In
2000 I collected my ideas and put them up on a web site, but found little support
for the key hardware component, a slate computer. I began exploring open-source
operating systems, first FreeBSD, then Mandrake-Linux, then Debian, and
convinced myself that the open-source concept ought to be successful when
applied to hardware and content.

Currently I am working hard to breath more life into this project. DebianEdu
sounds like a wonderful neighbor. I invite everyone with an interest in
Linux-based handwriting recognition or hardware design to join the Open Slate
project. And, for developers of content delivery applications (what has been
called CAI), keep an eye on the Chalk Dust concept.

--

  Gary Dunn
  Open Slate Project