Re: What do you want to do

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 08:45, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> It would be great if each of you could respond (either
> privately or publicly if you prefer) to those questions :
>
> 1. Are you a debian developer ?

Yes.

> 3. Do you have packaging skills/experience ?

Barely. I've been a developer since 1998 but have hardly done any work
in Debian since. I'm thinking about changing that, becoming more active.

> 4. If you're a Debian developer, are you willing to sponsor
>    people who packages educational software ?

I'd rather refresh my maintainer skills first. Once I know what I'm
doing, I'm happy to help other people figure things out too.

> 5. Are you willing to write/translate documentation for educational
>    software ?

I don't really have time to do so. I can proofread and edit English
documents, though.

> 6. What area in the big educational landscape are of special interest
>    for you (math, physics, biology, languages, etc.) ?

Computer science, mostly. I believe that people can be taught to write
higher-quality software than is the standard today. I also enjoy
studying the Japanese language (though I'm not very good at it), so I
have a personal interest in educational software in that area.

> 7. Freetyle question. What else would you like to do within DebianEdu ?
>    What do you expect from DebianEdu ?

I run the Linux lab at Portland (Oregon, US) State University. It's
primarily used by computer science students reasonably familiar with
Solaris and GNU tools, so ease of use is not so important to me.

The computer support organization that employs me is also responsible
for faculty desktops, and my boss wants the newly-formed Linux team to
move toward supporting those desktops as well, in the several cases
where the faculty have requested Linux. To do this, I need to have
scalable maintenance plans, meaning automated installs and upgrades
driven by well-documented software. I'm currently using Debian FAI,
which of those requirements only handles automated installs (though it
handles them very well).

I hope DebianEdu can address issues of maintenance of large numbers of
computers. I'd also like to know how other people promote free software
among instructors: currently this Linux lab is under-utilized, probably
because faculty aren't aware of it.

Finally, I want to see free software spread, and from Paul Nelson (of
K12 Linux) and others in this area, I've acquired an interest in the
progress of free software in the education world.

> 8. Are you part of other education-related projects ? What is your
>    position in those projects (leader, contributor, lurker, ...) ?

No.
--
Jamey Sharp <jamey@sharp.ath.cx> - http://jamey.is.dreaming.org/