Re: Terminal server under Debian-Edu

Hi everybody!

The question of Hilaire is my point of departure.

As I am just starting teaching informational technology, I am confronted
with the huge area of network administration. In a school class and even
when you look at the school as a whole, it is absolutely necessary that a
Linux distribution for educational purposes supports various tools:

1. Very, very easy to install!
We have in Germany at this Moment to distributions which focus on that, but
which work on top of SuSE Linux with the whole bunch of updating problems...
"kmLinux" which is perfect for easy installed workstations, and the
"GEE-Server" which I just about to test.

2. X-Terminals:
I understand by this that the workstations of the pupils start with a local
Linux but the graphical login and the home directory are supplied by a
X-Server-Server. The X-Server-Server should also work as an application
server. Only a browser, an email-client and some office programms should
start from the local machine.

That means for the distribution that it should include a
workstation-/client-installation and a server-installation

3. "Blackboard Server"
A school is well served if it has a school-wide Internet and Mail Server
with maybe a school wide mailforum or also chat forum, with hideable spaces
for the teachers and so on. I call it a "Blackboard Server", which supports
the intra-school communications.

4. Terminal Server:
In some situations this is a usefull solution. But I don't think it is a
general solution because it seems to be a problem, if a whole classroom is
booting from the TS over the net at the same time. For all other sirtuations
a Terminal Server is a fine thing. DebianEdu should include it, too

5. Windows Clients
A Distribution for schools should finally include a way in which to
administrate windows clients:
- safe logins via Samba
- Booting via BOOTP
- Restauring Windows partitions with some kind of Linux techniques (for
instance by BpBatch or just by making copies of Windows partitions under
Linux which can be recalled if the pupils have again destroyed a Windows
installation)

6. Proxy-Server
Needless to say that a school distribution needs a proxy to control the
Internet access.

That is in short my wish, my goal.

I think the DebianEdu project should divide in two branches: one
concentrating in developing good application software, and the other should
concentrate on good installation and server software.

Stefan Padberg