Re: Terminal server under Debian-Edu

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 03:29:30PM +0200, Stefan Padberg wrote:
> I think the DebianEdu project should divide in two branches: one
> concentrating in developing good application software, and the other should
> concentrate on good installation and server software.

A small clarification here on point one, here.  Debian generally does not
develop software (except in support of the project itself: packaging tools,
archive management scripts, etc.)  So, s/developing/packaging/ and we are in
agreement.

Regarding point two, neither of these two things (installation and server
software) are edu-specific needs.  So while DebianEdu should encourage the
development of, and make an effort to make effective use of other Debian
subprojects like the debian-installer project and debian-cd (both of which,
I understand, have yet to be integrated,) it should itself be only a
consumer/supporter of these things, and should not make them its primary
work.

Now, please don't get the idea that I am throwing cold water on your ideas.
These things are certainly necessary ingredients of making a successful
education-oriented distribution.  But one of the virtues of being a
*sub*project of Debian is that DebianEdu gets to pick and choose the parts
of the problem of making a high-quality distribution that it is particularly
interested in and skilled at doing, while leaving the rest to the rest of
the project.

And all of that being said, many of us (Debian developers) wear many hats.
If I can see that helping out another subproject within Debian will benefit
my own project, then I will do so.  For example, wearing my "DebianJr
project leader" hat, I have learned the above principle (basically summed up
as "pick an area of Debian to focus on, and stick to it").  And wearing my
"DebianEdu member" hat, I now share it with you, in the hopes that it will
help the group rapidly get off to a productive start.

Ben