Testskoler: Migrating from xplanet 0.9

Dear list,

until now, xplanet 0.9 is used to render maps from our testskoler
database.

Since Debian Sarge, xplanet upgraded to 1.x which is a total rewrite. So
it gets neccessary to rewrite the corresponding commands. At this step,
the discussion is open to move to any other option:

- GeoSphere is a free java applet that is already used to render an
interactive globe, representing our test schools. But it lacks (to my
knowledge) any textures to make a realistic surface.

- There might be a way to render the map on the fly via PHP draw
commands. Virtually one just has to transform (project) given
coordinates to an apropriate background map.

- Personally, I consider another project most promising: Marble is an
upcoming 3D globe for KDE that can also handle KML files, so it's
possible to display placemarks:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2429
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2412

What do you think? Anybody ready to give us a hand with this?
Cheers
Regards
Ralf