Re: DebConf in Montreal in 2016

Le lundi 15 septembre 2014 à 13:47 -0400, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I figure it's been long enough now since DebConf14; and way past due
> for
> sending this email.
>
> I was at DebConf14, and the subject of presenting a bid for Montreal
> for
> DebConf16 has popped up. As such, I've already been talking to quite
> few people in an effort to gauge interest, build a team, and figure
> out
> options for venues, and just who we'd need to talk to in the near
> future
> for this.
>
> So here it is: this isn't a one-man job. DebConf is a large
> conference
> that takes a lot of time to organize, and to have it in Montreal,
> we'd
> also need to present a formal bid by December 1st, 2014. This isn't
> that
> far off.
>
> This email is a request for help. If you're interested in helping out
> organizing DebConf16 and/or preparing the bid; please add your name
> the wiki [1], we can all schedule a meeting very soon to hammer out
> the
> details. There is a ton of things[2] to look into, so if you can,
> please
> also write down what you'd be interested in helping out with. It
> doesn't
> have to be the bid (though we'll need people for that!), it can also
> be
> to be part of the various other teams *during* DebConf: video team,
> the
> registration desk, etc.
>
> So far, it looks like one viable option would be to have DebConf at
> UQAM, and while nothing's set in stone, I've been talking to people
> there to see how it can be arranged. It's obviously good if we could
> have at least one other option as well, in case things don't work
> out.
>
> Unless people think it would be too much volume to discuss
> organization
> details on this list, I think don't need to request a new list be
> created for that purpose.
>
> [1] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/Bids/Montreal
> [2] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16

Hi, indeed debconf at Montreal would be great ! I've talked a bit with
people from the debconf14 organisation team, and i remember about
issues: We should be aware of volonteer people subject to abandon (not
about judgment, only about having a strong team), and the possible
lack options or knowledge about where to organizes that, who we should
talk...

Also I suggest to ask for help to the local Pycon organisation team,
as Pycon14 and Pycon15 are both in Montreal. I already got in touch
with that team.

Just to mention, we also might find inspiration on the 2012 bid [1].

[1] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf12/Bids/Montr%c3%a9al

--
Jean Schurger
http://schurger.org