From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
Date: Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Subject: [nylug-talk] NYLUG Presents: 2/16 @ 6:30PM Daniel Grippi and
Raphael Sofaer on Diaspora: Federated social networking
To: NYLUG-Talk <nylug-talk@nylug.org>

Wednesday, February 16, 2011
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
IBM
590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
corner of 57th Street

*** RSVP Closes at 4:30 PM the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                     Daniel Grippi and Raphael Sofaer
                                  - on -
                   Diaspora: Federated social networking

This presentation will outline the different standards Diaspora is using to
federate data between pods and how the core Diaspora team maintains its pod
at joindiaspora.com.  The presentation will end with a section on how to
get involved as a contributor to the Diaspora code-base.

More Information:

 * Join Diaspora (core team’s installation)
   https://joindiaspora.com/

 * Google groups diaspora-discuss
   http://groups.google.com/group/diaspora-discuss

 * Development google group diaspora-dev
   http://groups.google.com/group/diaspora-dev

 * Pivotal tracker (public)
   https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/61641

 * Bug tracker
   http://bugs.joindiaspora.com/

 * Github
   http://github.com/diaspora/diaspora

 * IRC channels on freenode: #diaspora and #diaspora-dev
   http://freenode.net/

About Daniel Grippi:
Daniel Grippi is a 22-year old entrepreneur from Long Island, New York, and
a recent graduate from New York University (NYU) with a major in computer
science.  Since graduating, Daniel has co-founded Diaspora in an effort to
change how individuals do social networking online.  Originally from Long
Island, Daniel now works full time on Diaspora at Pivotal Labs' San
Francisco offices as a developer and as the front-end lead.

About Raphael Sofaer:
Raphael Sofaer is a programmer and entrepreneur from Palo Alto, CA.  He
spent two years studying Math and Computer Science at NYU, then co-founded
Diaspora.  Raphael now works full time on Diaspora from Pivotal Labs’ San
Francisco offices as a developer and as systems lead.

Meeting Location:
 Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
 12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
 the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

Map:
 http://nylug.org/mapofibm

Swag (Give Away):
 During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
 away.

Stammtisch:
 After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
 for drinks and pub food.  This month we'll be over at TGI Friday's
 (677 Lexington and 56th Street, Second floor, Northeast corner),
 but we are also evaluating other options for the future and welcome
 your suggestions.

 http://nylug.org/tgifridays

Coding Workshops/Hacking Society:
 This is a group of people that wants to learn about and work on coding
 in Python, Smalltalk, Ruby, C++, LaTeX, and other languages, and hack on code.
 There will also be help given for those who wish to install Linux for the
 first time.
 Sometimes they go out to eat afterward.

 Bring something to show off and discuss!

 The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
 Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
 Next meetings are February 15, and March 1.
 See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/hackcalendar

Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
stuff.