Re: [Debian-NYC] Wed, celebrating Debian's birthday?

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 15:10, Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:56:25 -0400, Jeremy Baron <jeremy@tuxmachine.com> wrote:
>>
>> No one is suggesting TGIF; in fact just the opposite: we *don't* want
>> to go to TGIF.
>
> I took this as a suggestion of TGIF:
>
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:37:19 -0400 (EDT), Jay Sulzberger <jays@panix.com> wrote:
<quote from jay>

I guess I missed that one. The original proposal of combined meeting
from Brian (both on IRC and this list) mentioned another place
(murphy's) and were quite open to any suggestions for other bars.

>> It's already a stretch to have NYLUG meet in one neighborhood and then
>> have the bar be at least several stops away; I don't think PS is
>> realistic.
>> (I think the worst case would be NYLUG going to PS but then only 1 or
>> 2 people show up (excluding people already tied into Debian like me,
>> brian, simon, richard))
>
> Previously you wrote:
>
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:21:31 -0400, Jeremy Baron <jeremy@tuxmachine.com> wrote:
>> I'm also happy to go to Pacific Standard.

If mfl's travel plans didn't conflict I would have suggested moving to
Thursday in that original mail.

I wrote that having already compromised to not attend either event the
same way I would if each were on it's own night with no conflicts and
before the combined meeting was proposed.

> But now you aren't?  or are you saying that its fine with you but we
> might not get as many non-debian people?  If this not getting as many
> non-debian people at this proposed debian social event is the drawback,
> I'm fine with it.

Correct, I suppose I'm now somewhere between abstaining and leaning
toward somewhere in Manhattan but will definitely still try to make it
if it's at PS.

My objections had nothing to do with getting non-debian people; rather
I object to:
* making a combined meeting at PS because I don't think it will serve
NYLUG's interests
* making people choose between the 2 groups. (as I had to and we seem
to be making Brian)

Again, I think the best solutions involve planning further ahead of
time (moving the NYLUG venue or making the events different nights).

FWIW, I don't want to make a big deal of this (or have this thread
live forever) and I see that PS is the most likely final answer.

-Jeremy