Re: [Debian-NYC] Tues 1/18 or Wed 1/19

I am going to come to the Novice Night on (hopefully) Tuesday January
18 and help in any way that I can. I can help with installs, trouble
shooting, and/or educational aspects of linux.

The date I would like to use for the NYCIST <http://nycist.net> and
debiannyc joint meeting is Wednesday February 23 at the Children's
Storefront School (<http://www.thechildrensstorefront.org/>,  70 East
129th Street, NY NY). The January NYCIST meeting is already scheduled
to be on Moodle and as you can see from the quote below, the February
meeting at Storefront should be perfect for a joint meeting.

>From Steve, the tech director at Storefront:
"""
morning again, Raul
we have been using Ubuntu and Edubuntu to create an image that we give
(and teach) as part of Tech Saturdays
we have given away hundreds of free computers via Tech Saturdays
(techsaturdays.org)
I just checked out http://www.debian.org/ and it seems very interesting
part of the agenda on 2/23 is to actual "do work" and image a bunch of
computers (we have over 100 un-imaged computers in storage)
another is to see if we can engage clever people like you in improving
the way we do this

I do believe that the goals of DEBIAN are in sync with the goals of
Tech Saturday
Steve
"""

Seems like a wicked cool way to get Debian into the hands of novices
and a wonderful challenge to deploy a lot of desktops in one night.
CD/DVD-ROM? USB dongle? Ethernet? Which medium is best for an ad hoc
collection of donated computers to become useful tools for families?
It sounds like we'll need some hardware gurus as well to make sure we
are sending out sound machines.

What do you think? We can talk more about this on Jan 18 or when I can
get myself into #debian-nyc.

Raúl

extra link: <http://www.thechildrensstorefront.org/ts/inlinux.htm>