Re: [Debian-NYC] Novice Night install media

Hello,

I'm contributing to this discussion of install media/images from the
Ubuntu side, since I'm more familiar with that.  I will be bringing
the following images on my laptop tomorrow:

Maverick 10.10 -- Latest
Ubuntu 10.10 USB and/or hard drive installer (i386&amd64)
ubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso
ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso
ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso (downloading)
ubuntu-10.10-alternate-amd64.iso (downloading)
ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.iso (downloading)

Lucid 10.04 - LTS (Long Term Support)
ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso (+cd)
ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso (+cd)
ubuntu-10.04-alternate-amd64.iso (+cd)
ubuntu-10.04-alternate-i386.iso

There was also a question earlier about preparing files for USB
booting with debian-installer.  The link below gives information on
that for Ubuntu, which also uses debian-installer by default, so
should be relevant.

Preparing Files for USB Memory Stick Booting
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/installation-guide/i386/boot-usb-files.html

I've been trying to understand network/PXE booting and determine
whether it might be desirable for "install fest" scenarios.  It has
advantages, but I'm not sure how well it would work out in practice
when you're trying to support N clients booting from M different
distributions hosted on the server.  I'll put some info for this topic
on the wiki soon.

I saw that Richard is going to have a debian mirror.  Is that going to
have any of the ubuntu releases mirrored?  I can probably run
apt-cacher-ng (an apt proxy) with a lot of the recent ubuntu packages
pre-cached if nobody else has that taken care of already. [I run it on
my home network] I don't know how fast that is going to run on my
laptop though.

Cheers,
Carlos