Re: [Debian-NYC] Novice Night install media

Richard,

I have a netbook with no external DVD drive.  Can Debian be installed via a USB?

Steve

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking about install media for the novice night.

== Physical media ==

Does anyone have black CD/DVDs and/or USB drives to donate, or can get
them cheaply?  We could also use stuff to lend but not let instalees
take, but letting them take something with them is probably best.

Will some people attending have CD/DVD burners?  I won't.

== Images ==

I think we should get a wide variety of images, and create them on
demand.  Does that sound good?

I presume we should install squeeze.

The question is, what to get.  Here is a list of possible things.

Architectures: CDs for i386, amd64, and powerpc.

For each arch:
- Full first weekly-build CD:
 http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/
- Full first weekly-build DVD:
 http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-dvd/

- Netinstall "netinst" image:
 http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/

Firmware related things:
- Testing firmware tarball (squeeze/current):
 http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/
- Squeeze netinstall *including* firmware:
 http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/squeeze_d-i/
 --> Should we push this to be the image people make, since it's more
     likely to work in more places?  "Which would people prefer, a CD
     or a CD that is more likely to work?", as I saw

Multi-arch:
- Multi-arch netinst CD:
 http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/multi-arch/iso-cd/
- Multi-arch DVD:
 http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/multi-arch/iso-dvd/
Do these have firmware?

Ubuntu:
- {Desktop, Netbook, Server} x {32 and 64 bit editions}
 --> I don't know what all would be relevant here, the interface
     makes it hard to know what all is available.  Thoughts?

What should I get?  Which of these are worth having copies of?

I plan on making a script to automate the downloads for the future
(and document on the wiki).

- Richard