[Debian-NYC] What I'm up to; free culture talk this Friday

Hi DebianNYC,

Due to scheduling conflicts with my classes I haven't had much time to see any
of you in person lately. However, I've still been active toward free culture
goals. In that vein, I've helped to start a Fordham Law chapter of Students for
Free Culture, and I'd like to invite you to our first talk. It's slightly
off-topic for this list, but since I'm personally involved in making it happen
and it touches on several copyright law and cultural freedom issues, I'm still
giving details. Feel free to forward to any people or groups who may be
interested! I'm happy to answer any questions about the talk or to refer you to
other people working on this event.

---
Come hear how a college student sued a multi-billion dollar corporation to
safeguard our elections and won - and how that led to an international student
movement for free culture.

Nelson Pavlosky will discuss OPG v. Diebold, a precedent-setting case
protecting freedom of speech from abuse of copyright law in which he was a
plaintiff. It remains one of the only cases to date in which a copyright holder
has had to pay damages for knowing material misrepresentations in an
infringement claim under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and also helped
preserve public knowledge of important technical flaws in Diebold's
touch-screen voting machines. Free and open to the public.

Sponsored by FreeCulture|FordhamLaw.

Friday, November 19, 2010, 1:00 PM

Fordham University School of Law, Room 203
140 West 62nd Street (between Columbus and Amsterdam), New York NY 10023

Contact: FreeCulture|FordhamLaw.
Email: PIRC@law.fordham.edu
---

I hope to see you soon in any case, either at this event or elsewhere!

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org