Re: [Debian-NYC] Presentation at NYLUG next week

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 09:28:02PM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Brian was looking for a speaker for the September NYLUG meeting (one
> week from now!) and asked me if I could do something since I had
> mentioned it before.
>
> I've said I can, but I'd like to make it a team effort (and hopefully
> get some knowledgeable people in the audience to help answer the hard
> questions).  (If someone else would like to give the presentation,
> feel free!)
>
> So the first question is what topic to do?  Internet access here isn't
> easy, so that makes hands-on things harder (and also we have more of a
> time limit).
>
> Some random ideas:
>
> - based on Stew's idea of "tearing apart a package" to explain the
>   bits and pieces of it would be neat, but would probably be better
>   for a workshop.
> - Some sort of "advanced tricks of the packaging system" (I am not an
>   expert here, so would need advice + searching for stuff)

The second of these is what I'm mostly going with.  The outline is
here, anyone feel free to edit it or add things which you like and
think would be good to talk about.  Don't worry about adding things
and making it disorganized, I will organize before I write it all up.
  http://whiteboard.debian.net/nylugpresentation_e19ae6.wb

Right now the main topics are:
- Policy
- Packaging Basics (suites, medium-advanced usage of dpkg and apt)
- Advanced tricks
- Brief look at source packages

I think the outline is too much to talk about right now, but: go ahead
and add your other ideas to it (or mail the list).  I will select what
gets in the final presentation based on what there is...

Who think they can come to the talk (to serve as backup for
questions...)?

Brian/Ron/NYLUG - I'll get a talk description to you ASAP.

Thanks,

- Richard