Re: [Debian-NYC] [Debconf10-localteam] CIRCULATE

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Gabriella Coleman wrote:

On 07/22/2010 09:41 AM, Clint Adams wrote:
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 09:16:42PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
I posted it on craigslist:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/eve/1856125032.html

This is not specific to the craigslist ad, but a third-party observer
theorizes that going to the schedule URL will result in the
"general public" saying "oh, my browser says there is a certificate
problem, i guess i shouldnt' look at this website cuz i don't want to
get a virus".

Never thought of that... what should we do?

I am not going to contact Nate Westheimer until we resolve this if it is
resolvable.

Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor

Change to "uncertified" pages.  Or if you wish to keep the
"certified" pages, add a very simple branchpoint whose two out
legs lead to the "certified" pages and the "uncertified" pages.

If you take seriously https authentication, then, to a first
approximation, you want nobody to go to any https page which
causes a warning to the browser user.

If you have an https page, then, for most officially approved
uses of https, the page should not cause warnings to the browser
user.

What object is served by having https pages which cause warnings?
What object would be served by having https pages which do not
cause warnings?

oo--JS.

Department of Media, Culture, & Communication
New York University
239 Greene St, 7th floor
NY NY 10003
212-992-7696