Re: [Debian-NYC] Planning the January BSP

To be clear, it's not "cameras" it's a "camera". To be exact it is a Canon Optura 600 miniDV. (I did research a few years ago, and this was considered a top consumer grade camera). http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Optura-600-Camcorder-Review.htm

Long story short, I'm pretty much not a "video" guy, so getting into the habit of carrying it and using it just hasn't happened. Nor have I really had the time to figure out how to get video onto a computer from the camera.

I would love to make this available to Debian NYC and other NYC Free software groups.  I don't own a tripod, but am willing to purchase one for the cause(s).

Please note, the New York Linux User Group is also looking for a cameraman, and the format of their meetings is preso style, so that would also be good practice for DebConf video team.

As far as what's involved,  I don't think the big issue is figuring out how to do the filming, as this camera is the video equivalent of a "point and shoot". Anyone reasonably technical should be able to figure it out in 15 min or less. Rather where I see the more advanced skill set, is knowing how to get the video off the camera onto a computer, edited, and then converted to a web friendly format.

A few additional notes:
1) It doesn't have to be just one person. Ideally we'd have a few people who can fill in for each other. (Both for this and future BSPs/Workshops as well as for a DebConf10 local video team.
2) Obviously it would great to have one or more people with experience, experience isn't the only factor, and enthusiasm and availability can be just as important as experience/knowledge. (At least IMHO). So even if you have no experience using a camera, please speak up.

Thanks,
Brian

- Brian Gupta

New York City user groups calendar:
http://nyc.brandorr.com/

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@zhevny.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 03:18:50PM -0500, Richard Darst wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 02:38:48PM -0500, Richard Darst wrote:
>
> > Now, we get to more organizational details.  We don't need to do too
> > much immediately, besides getting the general ideas lined up.  Below
> > is brainstorming about different tasks people could take on to help
> > with things.
>
> Also add:
>
> Technical infrastructure/Video
> - Brian has offered to loan cameras needed to start doing video at our
>   workshops.  We need people to lead with this.  Perhaps edrz could
>   give us an initial training?

sure. I was thinking we could perhaps do a minimal dvswitch set up for
any formal talks/tutorials/etc that happen w/i the BSP context.  Would
be also a good chance for any potential dc10 video-team volunteers to
get a taste of the tools we use.

That said, I would want to keep it minimal to avoid distracting very
much from the general plan of squashing bugs. (not least because I
personally want to do more bug squashing than video-ing)

> - We could use the DebConf wireless APs to set up multiple wireless
>   channels, to try to reduce congestion.  This may be helpful.

-edrz