[Debian-NYC] Automating backporting (was Re: Workshop #2: using what we've learned)

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 03:04:08PM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 11/05/2009 02:37 PM, Lee Azzarello wrote:
> > +1 for backports. I deal with the same issues in production.
>
> the backports process is also worth keeping in mind for folks who are
> packagers (even if they don't backport), because the standard backports
> process (at least as i practice it) has trouble dealing with use of the
> newest and fanciest packaging tools.

(Semi off-topic query - no intention to hijack thread)

I won't be able to participate in the workshop, but I have had a
question for quite a while; can you guys think of an elegant way to
automate the backporting process? By this, I mean I'd like to write a
single script, say lenny-backport, which:

- Takes a package name from testing/unstable
- Adds a changelog entry
- Builds the package in a Lenny chroot
- Uploads it to a (possibly local) Lenny Backport archive

Needless to say, this is bound to fail on several packages which may
need manual intervention. But for several well maintained packages (by
which I mean those packages which are backport-friendly), this might
be a neat way to make a quick backport in a single command.

I've fiddled around a bit with this, and my (rather clumsy)
implementation is available here:

http://wiki.debian.org/AutomateBackports

If you have some suggestions, criticism (I'm don't mind hearing that
this method is bound to fail!), please do throw them at me.

Thanks.

Kumar

P. S. Some nice suggestions were discussed here: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/359917