[Debian-NYC] Look what Richard and I got roped into...

http://nylug.org/home/index.shtml

Feel free to come and heckle^Wrepresent!

Full announcement text follows my sig. Still follow the NYLUG link to learn
details about the location and necessary RSVPing due to building security.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org

Jimmy Kaplowitz & Richard Darst
- on -
Debian GNU/Linux and DebConf 10 NYC
** Please note important information about: this meeting **

    Please join us Wednesday, February 16th 2009 at 6:30 PM for a discussion
about the Debian GNU/Linux operating system, DebConf, and the upcoming DebConf
10 in New York City.

    Debian is a fully integrated free software operating system (OS) based on
the Linux kernel and tools from the GNU project, among other sources. It is the
basis of a large number of other Linux-based operating systems, ranging from
Ubuntu and Knoppix to the upcoming Nokia N900 Maemo smartphone and the
Linux-based versions of the Eee PC.

    The talk will start with a review of the what makes Debian unique, both
from a technical perspective and its grassroots, community-based model of
development. After that we will cover the status of the latest release, Debian
5 (codenamed "Lenny"), and the goals for the next release of Debian. Finally,
we will introduce Debian's annual international developer conference, DebConf,
and talk about the process of bringing DebConf to New York City next summer,
its first time ever in the United States.

    More Information:

        * Debian <http://www.debian.org/>
        * DebConf <http://www.debconf.org/>
        * DebConf 10 NYC <http://debconf10.debconf.org/>

    About Jimmy Kaplowitz:
    Jimmy Kaplowitz is an advocate of free software and has been active in many
aspects of the free software world, including at his alma mater of Brown
University, in NYC, and online. Jimmy is a Debian Developer and helps run
Software in the Public Interest (SPI), a legal umbrella non-profit used by many
free software projects including Debian, PostgreSQL, and OpenOffice.org among
others. Jimmy currently makes a living as a systems administrator, managing
Linux and other machines for the Freelancers Union, a non-profit organization
based in DUMBO, Brooklyn. He is leading the local team for the DebConf10, the
NYC DebConf, and helped organize DebConf7 in Edinburgh, Scotland and DebConf9
in Cáceres, Spain.
    About Richard Darst:
    Richard Darst is also an advocate of free software, a longtime Debian user,
and recently became involved in the Debian project by helping to secure
DebConf10 for New York City. Since that start, he has become a contributor to a
number of free software projects and communities in and outside of the New York
area. Richard is currently a graduate student in chemical physics at Columbia
University, and remains heavily involved in planning next year's DebConf.