Re: [Debian-NYC] GPG keysigning party on Friday's get-together

On 05/05/2009 05:14 PM, Micah Anderson wrote:
> You dont need to print out all of that, just the part that contains the
> fingerprint is sufficient:
>
> pub   1024D/C671257D 2004-12-27 [expires: 2014-12-25]
>         Key fingerprint = 6EF6 C284 C95D 78F6 0B78  FFD3 981C 5FD7 C671 257D

I think it actually is useful to include the User ID (at least the
human's full name) in the printout.

This is because the actual signing is going to happen significantly
later than the exchange of information.  Say i want to take over your
identity, Micah.  I start by making a new key, and i put your name on it.

Next, i bring its fingerprint to the keysigning party.  At the party, i
show people my own ID, and they verify that i'm dkg, and take the
unadorned fingerprint.  They also know that you're there, and take home
your unadorned fingerprint.

Then, the next day, after the hangover has worn off, they sit down to
process the slips.  Each one that comes up matches someone who they met
the previous evening, but now i've got signatures on the fake key, even
though i never presented "Micah Anderson" credentials.

This is extra-bad if people just upload their signatures to the public
keyservers instead of using caff (or something similar) because i could
have included <micah@riseup.net> in the UID on my bogus key.  If people
use caff, then i'll only be able to ever retrieve signatures on my own
key that were sent to an e-mail address that i can actually read.
(there are sneaky ways around this too if people aren't careful, i
think, but i'm already digressing too much).

Simply including your full name (and ideally all desired e-mail
addresses) on the printout along with the fingerprint will help prevent
this kind of a compromise of the web of trust, because people making
certifications days later will have an explicit binding between the two
(key+uid) on paper in front of them.

>> After you have confirmed
>> the other person's identity matching the key's fingerprint, you will
>> keep his/her piece. of paper and proceed to the next person. When you
>> are back home, you will sign the keys for all the pieces of paper you
>> have in your pocket.

To be extra-careful, you'll probably want to initial or otherwise
reliably mark the slip of paper upon which are the verified credentials
and fingerprint.  That way, no one can slip an additional piece of paper
in your pocket during the evening and trick you into signing it later.

Only cryptographically certify the pieces of paper you have in your
pocket which you know that you explicitly verified in person!

Nit-pickingly yours,

	--dkg