Re: [Debian-NYC] [Debconf-team] DebConf10 - call for Location proposals

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 04:59:05PM +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On 2008-08-11 18:09, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > I hereby propose New York City.
>
> Interpreting the responses of other people, the only problem
> seems to be immigrations. I'm relatively sure, that this problem
> can be solved for most DebConf participants.
>
> 1. Ask some well-respected organisations (universities, some UN
>    body, whatever we can arrange) to write invitation letters
>    for DebConf participants. I know, that those are sometimes
>    completely ignored, but it's worth a try anyway.
>
> 2. Talk to big companies (Google, HP, Intel) and other
>    organisations, what hints they have for us to get people into
>    the US with minimal trouble.
>
> 3. Make sure, that expenses for people who try to apply and get
>    rejected are covered. Nobody must fear to just lose 100 USD.
>
> 4. Support the work of our video team, so that people, who are
>    unable or unwilling to enter the US, are not completely left
>    out.

On this last point, I'm pretty sure I'm the only US video-team member.
That said, since I live outside DC, NYC is much closer for me than any
previous debconf locations. So, should NYC be selected I'll be glad to
coordinate with the local team on arrangements for the needs of the
video team.

-Eric Rz.

believed to be clean.