Re: Regarding ongoing furious discussions at debian-project ML & understanding

at bottom :-

On 07/01/2019, Amey Abhyankar <sco1984@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I guess most of us are subscribed to debian-project mailing list.
>
> I am reading tons of e-mails since last 2 weeks at debian-project
> which are furious in many ways.
> However I am unable to fully understand the core issue & why,by whom,where
> etc.
>
> If anybody from our DL has better understanding, pls brief here in
> simple English language thanks.
> Due to length of those e-mails with several legal language formats
> it's difficult to understand the issue :-/
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Amey.

Dear Amey,
This was shared in brief by the monthly anti-harrasment mailing list.
Perhaps a bit more insight could be gained by Daniel Pocock's blog
post on the same topic -

https://danielpocock.com/debian-human-rights-paradox

At the end, it's politics and Debian is as much a political
environment as it's a technical one. So one has to be thoughtful when
interacting with people irrespective of gender, race or whatever their
political bias might be.

It is a complex topic but pushing it under the carpet is not the
solution because it does impact each and every one around us.

It is useful so know and educate ourselves how to talk to people who
are non-binary in nature. One of the reasons why I didn't share about
Debconf 2016 much was because there were non-binary people there and I
didn't know how to address them, both while interacting with them and
afterwards while writing about them. I did share the blog posts with
few DD's to ask if they knew a better way but didn't get any response.

If I didn't write about them, it would have been excluding them which
again would not be the right thing to do.

Sage Sharp's blog is educative in that reference -

https://sage.thesharps.us/2017/10/24/binaries-are-for-computers/

Apart from that what has been called out is the way that the DAM's
reacted which seems far from open. If anybody were called out in a
similar manner, we wouldn't know what would be the right reaction and
the right people to reach or the right procedure to follow.

The questions could be like -

1. When should the accuser know about something s(he) is being accused of ?
2. Should s(he) be given proper space and something on record rather
than in closed loop systems which are also open to abuse.

I don't see any way out in the current mess but do empathise with both
the parties in this case, both Sage as well as the developer, blogger
in question as both have been wronged.