Re: Debconf 20/21 in India

at bottom :-

On 04/08/2018, rajudev <rajudev@disroot.org> wrote:

> On 4 अगस्त 2018 3:21:07 pm GMT+08:00, Siji Sunny <sijisunny@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Hello.

>>as

>>Go ahead, we can surely make it happen in India.Pls connect me, if you
>>required any further support for the bidding process.
>
> Just to want to announce.
>
> We have made the bid presentation today morning.
> So we are on with the bid now.
> I presented the bid and answered question's.
> Kartik Mistry was in attendance from the Debian India Community there at
> DebConf.
>
> This was the early bid.
> Bidding does not mean that we have to do it.
> It means expression of interest in doing so.
> We have made an early bid trying to create Interest about a DebConf in India
> for 2020/21
>
> The other bids that happened are
> Portugal
> Israel
> Slovakia
>
> DC19 is going to happen in Curitiba, Brazil
> We will have to make a formal bid again next year at DC19
>

>>> Give a bid.  Let's see :)

>>> --abhijith
<snipped>

Dear all,

Just some ringside observances that should be noted and I'm
simplifying a lot to be brief  -

One possible venue could be the University that I, Praveen and few
others visited few years back. The campus was largish and there is/was
possibility of number of hacklabs which would be needed for something
like Debconf without too much back and forth. The reason I say that is
because it was a beautiful campus with a lake which could be seen from
the top and we were able to cross and it was beautiful this time of
the year there. Most people for sure would feel right at home. Also
Kerala is good for both vegans and non-vegans, especially if people
want to eat beef which is a sensitive topic in most other states.

The only downer at that time I felt it didn't have enough rooms to
cater to something like 250, 300+ people at one time. There is
possibility that there may have been some more construction or
alternatives sprung around from the time we were there.

Apart from getting some sort of broad agreement from the place which
agrees to host a likely Debconf, we would also need to figure out
funding. From my recollections, if I'm not wrong we would need to
raise at least 25% of whatever budget is thought of. Make the budget
too low and we would lose out on potential expenses which would come
to bite us later. A simple example would be for e.g. insuring the
whole event which was a topic which came later in this Debconf. It
would be helpful if you and Karthik do take some time and discuss with
the organizers so you/we are more prepared.

Another thing that I would like to point out is organizing a Debconf
is a pretty time-consuming and draining affair at least from the IRC
chats and emails or whatever I have observed.

The process starts from the moment a go-ahead signal is given to after
the event when the account books are closed, which could take anywhere
from 3 months - 6 months or even more after the event is over. We
would need a team of at least 6-7 volunteers to get the thing of the
ground. Also at least 2-3 people would need to learn ledger .

$ aptitude show ledger
Package: ledger
Version: 3.1.2~pre1+g3a00e1c+dfsg1-5+b2
State: not installed
Section: utils
Maintainer: David Bremner <bremner@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 7,878 k
Depends: libboost-filesystem1.62.0, libboost-iostreams1.62.0,
libboost-python1.62.0, libboost-regex1.62.0, libboost-system1.62.0,
libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.4), libgmp10, libmpfr6 (>= 3.1.3),
libpython2.7 (>= 2.7), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2)
Suggests: elpa-ledger, python-ledger
 Ledger is a powerful and flexible double-entry accounting system run
entirely from the command line.  Your accounts ledger is stored in one
or more plain-text files with a very simple and readable format, and
ledger does the hard work of balancing your books and reporting.
Homepage: http://ledger-cli.org
Tags: implemented-in::c++, role::program

I also vaguely remember a template of tasks to be done to have a
successful debconf somewhere, maybe somebody can also point to that.

Hope the above helps :)