Re: Report: Debian Packaging Workshop at COEP
Quoting Ritesh Raj Sarraf (2017-01-08 18:34:06)
> Thank you for the update and Thank you for the work all of you are
> doing for Debian.
I fully agree!
> * Indic font rendering in PDF. Should we care? Is PDF deprecated ?
If you suspect PDF might be obsolete, then try - on a desktop system -
to remove libgs* and libpoppler* and see how much is affected by that.
Are special issues with PDF related to Indic fonts documented somewhere?
> * Indic font rendering in Console and Pseudo Terminals.
Similar: Anyone know about work on so-called "font stacks" for this?
I.e. lists of fonts for each Indic script, prioritized by...
* Ability to render the script at all (even if no composites)
* Readability at low resolution (i.e. for non-vector real console)
* Readability at medium resolution (i.e. vector based for X11)
* Readability at high resolution (i.e. for print use)
> * Indic dictionaries - I think this is something sorely sucky right now. To the
> best of my knowledge, our lexical databases are lagging far behind and are
> incomplete. And not everything is electronically available.
> I should also disclaim that my knowledge on these subjects is very
> limited. I'm just trying to see if there are others who could be
> motivated to steer in those areas.
My knowledge specificly on indic scripts is even more limited, but I
have some experience with PDF, Postscript, CSS and fonts, and a bit
experience with complex scripts using LaTeX, that all may be helpful.
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136 Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
[x] quote me freely [ ] ask before reusing [ ] keep private