Re: Report: Debian Packaging Workshop at COEP

On Sun, 2017-01-08 at 19:02 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Ritesh Raj Sarraf (2017-01-08 18:34:06)
>

> > * Indic font rendering in PDF. Should we care? Is PDF deprecated ?
>
> If you suspect PDF might be obsolete, then try - on a desktop system -
> to remove libgs* and libpoppler* and see how much is affected by that.
>
> Are special issues with PDF related to Indic fonts documented somewhere?

I don't recollect finding any such list, when I was running into problems with
PDF. I remember talking to Vasudev and he suggested me your name, hoping you may
have more insight into Fonts and PDF in general.

> > * Indic font rendering in Console and Pseudo Terminals.
>
> Similar: Anyone know about work on so-called "font stacks" for this?
>
> I.e. lists of fonts for each Indic script, prioritized by...
>
>   * Ability to render the script at all (even if no composites)
>   * Readability at low resolution (i.e. for non-vector real console)
>   * Readability at medium resolution (i.e. vector based for X11)
>   * Readability at high resolution (i.e. for print use)
>

> > * Indic dictionaries - I think this is something sorely sucky right now. To
> > the
> > best of my knowledge, our lexical databases are lagging far behind and are
> > incomplete. And not everything is electronically available.
>
> :-(

There were some projects in the past, Shabdanjali and Anuskara. And then we have
freedict, which is actively maintained in Debian. It was when talking to the
Freedict maintainers, that I came to know of the current state of Indic
dictionaries.

> > I should also disclaim that my knowledge on these subjects is very
> > limited. I'm just trying to see if there are others who could be
> > motivated to steer in those areas.
>
> My knowledge specificly on indic scripts is even more limited, but I
> have some experience with PDF, Postscript, CSS and fonts, and a bit
> experience with complex scripts using LaTeX, that all may be helpful.
>

>  - Jonas

- --
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com