Re: Debian on RP 3

On 21 September 2016 at 18:03, yogesh powar <yogesh.powar@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Amey,

Teaching teachers GNU/Linux is not what we have in mind. I think kids are smart
and they will figure out them selves how thing works.

Yes but concern is about language barrier.
Specially in villages in India where English language is not widely spoken/extensively used.
Even if they Google, they might will have hard time to understand some Linux terminologies in technical wording format.

Yes, we dont want to have HDMI thing involved; as I raised the point earlier, it would
boost up the setup cost. I think there are HDMI-VGA converter available (not the cables)
which costs around 600 Rupees which should solve the need.

So basic setup would
  1. LIME2 [4500 ] +
  2. HDMI-VGA converter [700] +
  3. 16' screen [4000] +
  4. Keyboard [400]+
  5. mouse [250] +
  6. Power Adapter [250] +
  7. USB Memory Sticks [500] +
  8. LIME Casing [550]
  9. WiFi-Dongle (Optional) [500]
Total would be around = 11650.

I would go for netbooks then in this cost.
iBall, micromax offering some nice netbooks within above price range. [with 64bit arch Intel Atom processor]
Advantage of netbook would be, install various Linux OS variants every day.
Also, it's easy to move those netbooks from 1 place to other without hassle's.
Lastly, I am pretty sure iBall & micromax both having servicing center's in Panji city in Goa. [Single stop for any HW issues]

Regards,
Amey.