Re: relayb0t

On Sunday 11 September 2016 04:07 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2016-09-11 at 09:40 +0530, Abhijith wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>
>> Some of you may have noticed that there is a bot (relayb0t) running in
>> #debian-in (and in debian-in xmpp muc ) channel . It basically send #debian-in
>> participants' conversations to debian-in and vice versa .
>

> Is there some documentation on the debian-in xmpp service ?

https://wiki.debian.org/Jabber#Non_Official_Debian_chat_rooms_on_Jabber

This was discussed on this list as well.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-dug-in/2015/09/msg00001.html

https://lists.debian.org/debian-dug-in/2016/03/msg00005.html

I have added it to https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia as well now. You
can use any xmpp client to join the conference room. Conversations is
the best client for android. On desktop I'd recommend Gajim as it is the
most active and has OMEMO encryption support. Other multi protocol
messengers mostly ignore xmpp and miss basic features and patches are
ignored too.

>> We only have a handful of active  volunteers in Debian India and they are in
>> two different chat channels not knowing what is happening on the other one
>> .  This made me to run such a service. Yes, relayb0t bridges the gap between
>> two channels .
>

> I like the intent and the possibility to bridge 2 channels. When I received
> Praveen's message through relayb0t, it wasn't clear to me on how to respond
> back.

You'll have to just type the full nickname and user on the other side
will get a notification. So if you type, "praveen: hi" in IRC, I will
get a notification on my xmpp app.

I think this is really cool and I'm happy Abhijith got it working.
Thanks you Abhijith.

> It'd be good if you make an announcement when such a service/feature is added
> and on how to use it.
>

>>> From copyninja and Jonas I understood that the "relayb0t is creating more
>>> noise than helping". If you people feel the same with relayb0t, I am happy
>>> to take it down.
>
> It hasn't been annoying to me personally but I was confused on how to use it.
> So, an announcement about the integration would be nice. It'd also be good to
> see some hint to it in the irc channel topic.

We add it to wiki as well.