Re: casual proposal, some potential sponsors and telegram.

Quoting Ritesh Raj Sarraf (2014-08-06 12:25:55)
> On 08/06/2014 03:09 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Those using Android _and_ caring about control over own devices are
>> strongly encouraged to follow the Guardian Project:
>> https://guardianproject.info/
>>
>> They like the UI design of Telegram, but are *not* happy with its
>> technical design:
>> https://lists.mayfirst.org/pipermail/guardian-dev/2014-February/003228.html
>>
>> For cross-platform communication I recommend followiing the Debian
>> project to establish federated XMPP andd SIP structures (aimed
>> specifically at Debian developers, but since the federation is open
>> any other organisation can use exact same structures and collaborate
>> more or less directly with the Debian infrastructure):
>> https://bits.debian.org/2014/01/debian-sip-webrtc.html
>
> Following this thread yesterday, I checked alternatives myself. The
> best I came across was surespot.
> https://www.surespot.me/
>
> They claim it is 100% open source.

Being Free Software (or Open Source as some prefer to label it) is good
(but percentage is silly: either it is or it isn't Free Software!)

What I objected to, however, was not the freedoms defined by "Free
Software" and "Open Source", but instead the freedom of independence and
staying in control of own devices and own data - a.k.a. privacy.

Code can be "100% open source" while breaching privacy.

I recommend to use Android apps that have been examined and recommended
by the Guardian project, where you have privacy concerns.

If you believe that you can do security analysis on Free Software code
yourself, then I strngly encourage you to _join_ the Guardian Project
;-)

 - Jonas