Re: [Mini-Debconf India] Updates on the January 2015 Mumbai mini-DebConf

in-line :-

On 11/3/14, Rigved Rakshit <r.phate@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Rigved,

> After further discussions with the FOSSEE team at IITB, here are the
> updates:
>

> 1. Dates for the mini-debconf have been confirmed as follows:
>
> 17/01/2015 and 18/01/2015 - Saturday and Sunday

That's great to hear.

> 2. We will most likely be provided the following:
>
> One 250-seater classroom for the keynote session. This classroom will
> be reused for the hackathons.
>
> Five 60-seater classrooms for conducting the sessions / workshops.
>
> There will be spike guards and wifi Internet access available in all
> these classrooms.

Looks good enough :)

> 3. They will be providing official confirmation from the IIT
> authorities for the event soon.

Please let us know as soon as possible.

> 4. Accommodation will be provided on campus, only for the speakers,his r
> from 16th to 18th January, 2015.

Ok, but then we need to tell/share something to the attendees as well.
Maybe some nearby hotels/guest-houses etc. which are cheap could be
recommended (if there are within walking distance of the IIT campus).

Rigved, Shirish,

Am taking taking this responsibility, to identify the low-cost and good accommodation facilities near to IIT, since am living very close to IIT.

Btw, Rigved, IIT won't provide paid accommodation for the attendees ? Have you explored that possibilities?

> 5. We will need to arrange for food / beverages because the IIT campus
> has only one restaurant which might not be able to cater to the
> mini-debconf.

Probably we will need to budget for this and figure out some good
caterer who has prior relations with IIT Mumbai. There might be
bureaucratic and security concerns and a caterer who's well-known to
them would be easier to co-ordinate with. If we are able to get 2-3
caterers names, we could go down and check out the quality of food and
confirm with one of them.

> 6. We are looking at the possibility of live streaming all the
> sessions. We are looking for volunteers with prior experience in this.

I know hasgeek (from bangalore) has done this quite a few times. I
know of few people in North India i.e. Delhi and in H.P. who have done
this, not so much here.  So we either invite the hasgeek team (or one
two persons from there and get the volunteers trained here) and try to
stream or do some other way. Probably will need discussions on
bandwidth, hardware required as well as volunteers who would be
willing to do this job.

> 7. The FOSSEE team will check if they can provide the "Invitation
> Letter" to the Ministry of External Affairs for any International
> speakers.

That would be extremely helpful if it's possible.

> 8. We need to get the http://in2015.mini.debconf.org/ website up and
> running soon.

+1 on that.

> 9. The FOSSEE team wants to meet all the volunteers in-person,
> preferably on a weekday. Let's schedule this for sometime in November.

Weren't we going to be meeting on 28th November. Except the 15th of
this month, I can make myself available provided I'm given a week's
notice (to work around things at my end.).

> Best Regards,
> Rigved

Meanwhile, people can enjoy
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/debutsav-2014-experiences-day-1/
and

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/debutsav-2014-experiences-day-0/

I am hoping to add Day 2 which are pending few photos, few
presentations from the Amrita University side.

Siji Sunny