Re: Plans ahead for the MiniDebConf 2014

at bottom :-

On 9/5/14, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org> wrote:

<snipped>

> With all due respect you have gone about this backwards.  First you should
> have lined up speakers, determined their availability etc. and then based
> on that planned a date, duration etc.  From where I'm sitting its a little
> worrisome that with only six weeks left to go, very basic features are not
> settled.  But it is too late to argue about such things so let us move on.

<snipped>

Jaldhar,
       It seems there is a disconnect here. We spent quite SOME time
trying to find speakers (off-list of course) and on phone and while
some were direct, others were more about wanting to see the site
before they would commit one way or the other to the event as both the
host institution and community is a bit unknown in the larger
community sense.

On top of that we had to make sure that there are no exams, no strikes
(crossed fingers on that one still !), no holidays of any kind and of
course the weather (Kerala is known for its extremes).  It was after
taking all those considerations into account that we were able to have
the dates that we have.

I think unlike in the West or places like Mumbai where people are
direct in their dealings, here it's more than often a twisty world
(like a jalebi) and you have to learn to accommodate that as well in
any dealings you have.

Anyways, as shared that's water under the bridge. Let's try to speed
things from now on. Still not sure what the consensus is for the name
of the event. Oh well!