Re: debconfs should be about Debian

at bottom :-

On 9/5/14, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org> wrote:
> An event billed as debconf mini or otherwise should primararily be about
> Debian.  Other projects even when they are also about free software are
> only relevant to the extent that they pertain to Debian.
>
> So for instance the person who wants to talk about git should talk about
> git in Debian packaging.  A person who wants to talk about the kernel
> could talk about installing kernel modules in Debian and so on.
>
> Nobody should be worried about being an expert.  As long as they have
> passion and can say "here is what I learned about how Debian does ____" it
> will be informative and interesting.
>
> --
> Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>
>

> --
> Archive:
> [🔎] alpine.DEB.2.10.1409050236532.31050@kubuntu">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] alpine.DEB.2.10.1409050236532.31050@kubuntu

Hi Jaldhar,
That is and should be doable. I don't know how far they would be able
to pick up, but an attempt can of course be made. What perhaps could
be done for e.g. :-

a. Git :- first tell/share how to use git, where it's used and why it
is useful. Then perhaps they can show some alioth repositories (even
only if it's the cloning part) and how it's useful for code-review,
although most of the code-reviews I have seen are via e-mail or on
some bug report. I don't know if there is way like gitorious or github
where you can comment on the actual code. If there is, would be nice
to know as well.

The good thing is this would serve as an actual implementation example as well.

b. Kernel talk :- It could start with the kernel, the merge window,
the various subsystem maintainers and how the ecosystem works and
where there is still need of lot of improvement. (Testing for one) .
They could look at not only the kernel modules but also what goes into
selecting a particular kernel version to be used with a particular
release of Debian. It could also be used to discuss how particular
features are gained or lost and the discussion which happens before
the implementation happens.

I do hope the students read and see some of the things we are talking about.