Re: Dates for the MiniDebConf '14 finalized !

Folks,

I have no intention of starting a debate, but having organized more
than a few large and small scale events, I need to speak up on the
event organizers behalf.

Their ambition of doing an event targeting an audience of 300 is in
itself quite commendable. The amount of preparation and organizational
activities that goes into an event of that scale is going to give them
restless nights for the coming two months.

Where things can be made simple, they should keep it simple. Case in
point, if Google forms work fine, use it. Don't take up extra
headache. If the CGI script works, all is well.

Now please, as I said, I am not starting a debate. The concern of
privacy is important and I am well aware of it. I am only saying that
whoever raises that concern should try as much as possible *not* to
make it the event organizers problem. In this case that would be
Harish, Pooja, Roopak and Darshana if I understand correctly. They
will have their hands full. If they don't have someone to take it up,
then don't force them to do it. Forgive them for the time being and
try to get the thing implemented for future events. There should not
be any discouragement at a stage like this. I believe they are doing
an event and related activities for the first time as well.

Especially, registration is quite a big headache. Even having used a
dedicated software like doattend for this, the amount of manual house
keeping I've had to do is painful.

To the 4 of you, delegate your duties to *reliable* people *as much
as* possible. Don't let everything be just your problem. In the
excitement, that tends to happen.

I meant no offense or disrespect. Just speaking from the little
experience I have having organized events.

Cheers,

--
Haris Ibrahim K. V.
http://sosaysharis.wordpress.com