Re: Dates for the MiniDebConf '14 finalized !

at bottom :-

On 8/1/14, R.Harish Navnit <harishnavnit@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm really sorry it took this long, but after long discussions we've
> settled on the dates for the MiniDebConf '14 in Kollam. As of few of you
> had requested, we'll have the event on the 17th and 18th of October. The
> wiki-page has now been updated[1].
>
> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2014/Kollam
>
> Warm Regards.
>
> Thanking You,
> R.Harish Navnit
> The Enigma <http://harishnavnit.wordpress.com>

Hi all,
@Harish, that's great news. Now I just need to book my tickets in a
few days. Send a private mail and let me know if there are any nice
nature spots nearby so I can make an itineary of seeing some nice
nature near there (if you know any). It isn't everyday that I get a
chance to go down at the southern tip of the country so want to make
more of it.

On a slightly more serious note, coincidentally Praveen was in town so
we had an informal meet-up between me, Praveen, Raju and Mahendra. As
far as I know from your end Pooja and Darshana have volunteered.

We were able to come up with some specifics of what the site should have :-

a. It would be more or less a static site . We could have some kind of
countdown timer as well as delegate counter to keep track of number of
people who are registering.

b. We need to have two kind of forms :-
 1, Delegate form :- It will  have contact details and  also askif
they would make their own arrangements for accomodation or we need to
provide. You will have to figure out how much to charge for
accomodation if the University is providing.

 2. Speaker form :-  From what I understood you are having a CFP. It
would be a good idea to let people who are presenting paper, idea or
want to hold a workshop to put it through this form as well.

3. There would be admin. window as well so admins. can easily view
profiles and accept or reject proposals or/and ask clarifications from
the delegate or speaker as need be.

The data gathered from these two forms would probably be in SQLite
(idea/suggestion) . Now we are expecting the target audience from
anywhere between 30 to 300 hence sqlite will do the job without the
overheads (read computation and memory) which $your favorite RDBMS
will have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite

https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/an-explanation-of-sqlite-debunking-myths.244/

As shared both 'password management' and 'bookmarks' and 'Groups'  at
least in Mozilla Firefox are taken care by sqlite.

@Harish - you need to have set a deadline - say 1st of September till
when the website is in place. Talk internally and set up a date and
time and announce it here on debian-in when we are meeting. You should
use irc.oftc.net as that is where most of the debian channels are. See
http://www.oftc.net/ . For people unfamiliar with IRC they also came
up with a webchat tool, see http://www.oftc.net/WebChat

Sponsorship :- As I shared informally with you, it's possible that
both C-DAC and Redhat may part sponsor the minidebconf but till we
don't have a website and some idea of the topics, it would be hard to
approach any sponsors. There are lots of start-ups and companies in
Bangalore who are using FOSS and would like to be associated with an
event such as this. If you have any contacts in Bangalore and see what
could be done. Also talking with sponsors takes quite a bit of time,
so if we have some tracks, topics and some sign-ups we would be
speaking from a position of strength which will make it easier for you
to ask for sponsorship.

You could have tiers like platinum, gold, silver and bronze
sponsorship giving some benefits as visibility to the sponsors.

Please let us know as soon as possible any status updates on the
above. If anybody has any queries, observations or suggestions and
corrections, please let us know.

Till l8er.