Re: MiniDebConf in Amritapuri, Kerala

Dear Harish,
Any updates to the event dates and were you able to connect with the
funnel people ? This would be a bit longish so have a nice cuppa
cofee,chai (whatever poison works for you :) )

It would be nice to have some confirmed dates as we need to book
tickets before-hand and make plans.

Few suggestions :-

a. If it's in early part of October, see if you can connect and invite
the keynote speakers who are in Pycon 2014.

See http://in.pycon.org/2014/#section_speakers

It's possible the speakers may be touring different cities in India.
While me and Praveen both know Kushal, it would be nice if we are able
to get the people who have come to India as well.  As python is used
much in Debian, we could have them either in the main track or have a
separate Python track if needed.

b. 5th of November is when debian-freeze will be in place. We should
have one or two alphas releases by then. We could use the opportunity
both to triage and confirm bugs and also see if any bugs can be fixed
as well as do installation tests on whatever hardware is available. We
could also think of trying out packages which are in
mentors.debian.net or/and experimental and help there as well. Will
share an example of a package whose new release has been long overdue.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/10/msg00004.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/05/msg00000.html

Any help in testing real-world scenarios would be of great help. We
could also use the opportunity to do upgrades of machines (if some
people already have either squeeze or wheezy) and see if any issues
pop-up. Alternatively we could put Debian Squeeze (6.0) and Debian
Wheezy (7.0) and see what kind of issues come up if we try upgrading
from one release to the other and report any bugs found.

Also if there are any hardware architecture (other than amd64 and
i386) that would also be cool.

As far as outdated and interesting packages are concerned, see below :-

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=738269#54 - This is
a bug-report for a package called util-linux .  Rather than just
sharing the description about the package, the wikipedia article is a
bit more informative about the package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Util-linux

Right now testing has 2.20.1-5.8 while upstream has released 2.24.2
sometime back.

emove/Purge/Hold
||/ Name                           Version              Architecture
      Description
+++-==============================-====================-====================-=================================================================
ii  util-linux                     2.20.1-5.8           amd64
      Miscellaneous system utilities

https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/releases

Incidentally, while we are on the subject, the person's whose comment
I have high-lighted on the bug, he is Theodore Tso - upstream
developer on ext 2/3 and maintainer of ext4 ( he's also maintainer of
/dev/random in the GNU/Linux kernel upstream.)
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/5/418

 There are also packages which have been requested and are
interesting, for instance :-

ifupdown-scripts-wa (from the bug there is a proposal to have the
scripts added to ifupdown-extra. I have not seen the licenses of the
scripts but should be same/similar. As far as I remember both ifupdown
and ifupdown-extra had GPL2 .

There is of course lots more, look forward to thoughts and suggestions
from others as well. If somebody wants to work with it now, then can
connect with ifupdown-extra's maintainer Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
Peña <jfs@debian.org> and ask him how to move on that.

Looking forward to replies.