Re: debian LTS

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013, shirish शिरीष wrote:

Hi Faheem,
I do agree quite a bit of what you shared. In fact, there are many
pushes and pulls happening both for what has been released as well
what is being released. On a slightly different footing, I had shared
this sometime back [1] [2] . It basically talks about automated
testing for which 2 things have been shared as solutions [3] [4] [5] .
Now even here there is shortage of people power although this should
interest people who want their packages to come to testing as soon as
possible. The faster the packages are in testing, they would be tested
more and theoretically freeze would be of shorter time-frame.

So we can pulls and tensions within the project here as well.

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg00523.html
2. http://wiki.debian.org/AlwaysReleasableTesting
3. jenkins.debian.net
4. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/08/msg00006.html
5. http://packages.debian.org/sid/autopkgtest

I would love to see what people make of this as well. I do agree with
your point that downstream can only do so much. i.e. why we see many a
times debian holding patches for things which upstream considers
outdated at times because they have users for them.  Case in point,
classic GNOME.

Hi Shirish,

Yes, I saw the always releasable testing thing as well, and I agree that it is a good idea. Ditto for the automated testing thing. I guess that means the 10 day long wait (or whatever it currently is) in unstable will be reduced to 2 days if that is implemented, at least for packages with the testing suite enabled. With people like Niels and Russ involved, it might actually happen.

One issue with all these things is the lack of manpower, or if you prefer people power.:-) As I am sure is obvious to anyone with a more than casual interest in Debian, there are a small handful of people doing most of the heavy lifing wrt to things like infrastructure and Debian specific development - quality control, general package management etc.

                                                          Regards, Faheem