Re: Debian India website ?

Hi all,
      Seems I had forgotten to add the (please CC me) as I always do
hence was unable to see the replies.

@ Vasudev Kamath , lemme just quote first what you said :-

' You are welcome to start one. We are lacking people to do existing
works in Debian-IN some how we managed to do the ttf-indic-fonts to
new fonts-* naming scheme but we don't have any one to test. Kartik is
doing his best to review our work but alone its too burden for him
also. We have this in TODO but frankly we don't have enough time. ' -
Kartik.

By testing if you mean just downloading the fonts from the git repo
and seeing if they work (I would say I have heard the terms kerning
and so on and have some ideas about those but on a very surfacial
manner). If its JUST installing the fonts from the git repo. and
seeing if they work within the browser and copying content from some
language and seeing whether all the text-editors are showing the font
without any replacement character [0] then can do that. If you want me
to test say how things look in aptitude (both installing and purging)
then also can do that. I have made aptitude to be a bit more vocal
while installing stuff.

For instance :-

$ sudo aptitude install hamster-applet
  hamster-applet
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/519 kB of archives. After unpacking 25.6 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] Y
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
apt-listchanges: Mailing root: apt-listchanges: changelogs for deb-home
(Reading database ... 371044 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace hamster-applet 2.91.3+git20120204.b11571c.dfsg-1
(using .../hamster-applet_2.91.3+git20120211.9ebb889-2_all.deb) ...
D000001: process_archive oldversionstatus=installed
Unpacking replacement hamster-applet ...
D000001: process_archive updating info directory
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
Setting up hamster-applet (2.91.3+git20120211.9ebb889-2) ...
D000001: deferred_configure updating conffiles

So that I have a clue as to what's happening (otherwise I don't know
if its installing or not, the default way)

Is it both or either of above or am I misunderstanding/misreading
something. If there is something else you meant by testing please let
me know.

What I have done atm is put up a very scrachy initial page detailing a
bit about the work that Debian India does at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/Testing .

If there are any pre-requisites (as in some specific packages need to
be downloaded or something to do the testing please let me know.)

I do have almost all the fonts which Debian-IN maintains on my machine
(the ones from Debian archive), while purging the packages is easy, is
there some specific workflow which could be better.

Lastly, is there any sort of queue as to which packages need to be
tested first and how can people know which packages need more
eyes/testing ?

I have no idea about the above hence asking the same. As can be
noticed I have not linked the page to DebianIndia wiki page as
instructions are not there. Once the instructions are somewhat closer
to make sense/completeness then would link to the main DebianIndia
page. I would probably see what replies I get in the evening and at
the very least document the same.

@Ritesh well, selinux is pretty much outside my domain. As far as
systemd is concerned, I did notice that systemd [1] after pro-longed
conversations has finally made it to Debian [2] as well as see Michael
Biebl packaging stuff [3] as well as creating patches for the same
[4]. But again this is over my head.

[0] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replacement_character
[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
[2] - http://wiki.debian.org/systemd
[3] - http://bugs.debian.org/659195
[4] - http://bugs.debian.org/659438

Even if we can get some documentation of initial testing
infrastructure for indic fonts and related tools and few people to
test it the way Debian-in team suggests that would be a win as people
would be free to do other things (package more awesomeness and bring
new things to the table).

Looking forward to know more.
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17