Re: Need inputs

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Faheem Mitha wrote:

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Ganesh P wrote:

Hello,

I have installed Debian Squeeze AMD64 on my home desktop recently. Until now I was using Fedora KDE. I am facing few issues with Debian installation and need your advise in fixing them. I am using GNOME as my DE and I use NVIDIA Georce 7100/nForce 630i mother board. RAM is around 4 GB DDR2 and processor is intel core2 duo 2.7 Ghz. Monitor is LG Flatron W1642S LCD.

1. The font rendering is quite awkward. The fonts (every font) look very thin and straining eyes. Especially in Iceweasel, Chromium & open office documents the font display is quite poor. I tried tweaking the settings in Appearance preferences->Fonts. I experimented with sub-pixel smoothing etc. But no noticeble improvement was achieved. I wanted to achieve font rendering similar to fedora or ubuntu.

I had similar problems recently, when upgrading to squeeze. In my case it turned out the X server was running the monitor at the wrong resolution. For some reason it had not caused problems with lenny. Check your monitor documentation and make sure you are running it at the preferred resolution. Are you using KDE with Debian?

Never mind. I see above that you say you are using Gnome.

                                                  Faheem