Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:
> On Wed, 2023-05-10 at 13:50 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Caring about them isn't the same thing as doing everything they want.
>> We can both try to make things as smooth for them as possible and still
>> make design decisions about Debian that they may disagree with or that
>> may make some property they want to maintain difficult or impossible.
>> It's the sort of decision we have to make on a case-by-case basis.

> Debian going out of its way to tell derivative users to switch back from
> merged-/usr to split-/usr is the *opposite* of trying to make things as
> smooth for them as possible.

Yes, I agree with that part and I think I objected to that at the time.
Nonetheless, one bad decision doesn't mean that it is Debian policy that
we don't care about derivatives or their users.  I think we made a mistake
there which is not in alignment with our ideals or our goals.  We should
try to reverse that mistake, not double down on it.