Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

Hello,

On Sun 07 May 2023 at 11:14AM +02, Ansgar wrote:

> Debian's dependency system requires to explicitly declare
> Depends/Conflicts/Replaces/Breaks, but for obvious reasons we cannot do
> that for packages outside Debian's ecosystem.
>
> The same is true for diversions/alternatives/* or anything else
> requiring coordination among all users: the dpkg ecosystem has too many
> practical limitations to support non-Debian packages on anything but a
> "it might work" basis (which is usually "good enough").  (This is even
> true for packages within the Debian ecosystem, especially when one
> considers partially implemented features like multi-arch.)

I don't think this is the consensus view.

Our derivatives are among our users, for example, and we care about them
being able to add packages in appropriate ways.

Our policy documents and best practices contain various provisions with
user's own packages in mind.

--
Sean Whitton