Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

On Fri, 21 Apr 2023 at 13:16, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2023, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > Please consider it to be a piece of best
> > intentions at reconciling feedback wherever I could. At the time of this
> > writing it certainly is not consensus, but consensus is what I seek
> > here.  Without further ado, the full DEP text follows after my name
> > while it also is available at
> > https://salsa.debian.org/dep-team/deps/-/merge_requests/5
>
> I'd like to express some disappointment that nobody replied publicly
> sofar. Last year's developer survey concluded that "Debian should complete
> the merged-/usr transition" was the most important project for Debian [1]
> (among those proposed in the survey). That's what we are trying to do
> here and it would be nice to build some sort of consensus on what it means
> in terms of changes for dpkg.
>
> I know that Guillem (dpkg's maintainer) is generally opposed to the
> approach that Debian has followed to implement merged-/usr but I have
> yet to read his concerns on the changes proposed here

There was an answer from the maintainer, 2 weeks ago:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2023/04/msg00001.html
Essentially, the answer was "no", so...

After Bookworm ships I plan to propose a policy change to the CTTE and
policy maintainers to forbid shipping files in the legacy directories
altogether, followed by a debhelper change to adjust any stragglers
automatically at build time and a mass rebuild, plus MBF for the small
% that does not use dh and a piuparts test to stop migration for
anything that is uploaded and doesn't comply. That should bring the
matter to an end, without needing to modify dpkg.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi