Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

Hi Luca,

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 03:29:33PM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> After Bookworm ships I plan to propose a policy change to the CTTE and
> policy maintainers to forbid shipping files in the legacy directories
> altogether, followed by a debhelper change to adjust any stragglers
> automatically at build time and a mass rebuild, plus MBF for the small
> % that does not use dh and a piuparts test to stop migration for
> anything that is uploaded and doesn't comply. That should bring the
> matter to an end, without needing to modify dpkg.

I agree with the goal of removing aliases by moving files to their
canonical locations. However, I do not quite see us getting there in the
way you see it, but maybe I am missing something. As long as dpkg does
not understand the effects of aliasing, we cannot safely move those
files and thus the file move moratorium will have to be kept in place.
And while moving the files would bring the matter to an end, we cannot
do so without either modifying dpkg or rolling back the transition and
starting over. I hope that we all agree that rolling back would be too
insane to even consider, but I fail to see how you safely move files
without dpkg being changed. Can you elaborate on that aspect?

I'd also be interested on how you plan to move important files in
essential packages. This is an aspect raised by Simon Richter and where
I do not see an obvious answer yet.

Helmut