Re: Hard to read new paragraph in man page deb-origin

Hello Guillem,
On Sat, Oct 08, 2022 at 07:38:21PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Sat, 2022-10-08 at 19:05:01 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 08, 2022 at 06:42:46PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > This means that the code will try the following combinations, after
> > > having remapped the non-alphanum chars:
> > >
> > >   lower-cased:                  aA-bB%Some OS → aa-bb-some-os
> > >   as-is:                        aA-bB%Some OS → aA-bB-Some-OS
> > >   lower-cased and capitalized:  aA-bB%Some OS → Aa-bb-some-os
> > >   capitalized:                  aA-bB%Some OS → AA-bB-Some-OS
> >
> > Ok, so I understand the 2nd sentence as follows (I write it verbose):
> > Namely, the following variations are accepted as well:
> > a) non-alphanumeric characters (‘B<[^A-Za-z0-9]>’) in the vendor name
> >    are mapped to dashes (‘B<->’) and all letters are lower-cased
> > b) the vendor name is kept as it is
>
> Non-alphanumeric mapped to dashes, then b)
>
> > c) all letters in the vendor name are lower cased and then first letter
> >    is capitalized
>
> Non-alphanumeric mapped to dashes, then c)
>
> > d) all letters (?) in the vendor name are capitalized
> > (since dpkg 1.21.10).
>
> Non-alphanumeric mapped to dashes, then only the first letter is
> upper-cased (which I understand to be synonymous with capitalizing).

I'm not a native speaker either, but capitalizing seems fine.

> > > This means they will be tried then first w/o remapping as follows:
> > >
> > >   lower-cased:                  aA-bB%Some OS → aa-bb%some os
> > >   as-is:                        aA-bB%Some OS → aA-bB%Some OS
> > >   lower-cased and capitalized:  aA-bB%Some OS → Aa-bb%some os
> > >   capitalized:                  aA-bB%Some OS → AA-bB%Some OS
> > >
> > > And subsequently by only remapping spaces to dashes:
> > >
> > >   lower-cased:                  aA-bB%Some OS → aa-bb%some-os
> > >   as-is:                        aA-bB%Some OS → aA-bB%Some-OS
> > >   lower-cased and capitalized:  aA-bB%Some OS → Aa-bb%some-os
> > >   capitalized:                  aA-bB%Some OS → AA-bB%Some-OS
> > >
> > > Was the problem with just the "as-is" or how the formulation of casing
> > > is listed?
> >
> > Your wording is sometims very terse and assigning the virtual () (i.e.
> > which ands and ors belong to each other) is sometime tricky,
>
> Sorry! :) I guess I tend to try to avoid what I perceive as
> unnecessary repetition, and expressing lists seems sometimes
> complicated.
>
> > and yes,
> > the "as is" made me wonder about "remapping". But of course, a 1:1
> > mapping is a mapping as well'. (and the case c) I could not see from
> > your text alone at all).
>
> > And the third sentence thus reads (verbosely):
> > In addition, for historical and backwards compatibility, the above casing
> > attempts will be tried in the following order:
> > a) First no remapping (keeping the name as is)
> > b) Remapping spaces to dashes (‘B<->’).
>
> These would be, instead of the first phase of remapping
> non-alphanumeric to dashes, the a) and b) here would be applied, then
> the a/b/c/d from above would be repeated (for each of these two
> iterations.
>
> > But this does not match your examples, so I guess I still haven't
> > understood the third sentence.
>
> Ok, I've tried to reword the man page, how about the following, which
> introduced some repetition (which will eventually go away), and should
> hopefully be more clear? Otherwise we can iterate until it does. :)
>
> ,---
> The file should be named according to the vendor name.
> The usual convention is to name the vendor file using the vendor name
> in all lowercase, but some variation is permitted.
> Namely (since dpkg 1.21.10), first, non-alphanumeric characters
> (‘B<[^A-Za-z0-9]>’) are mapped to dashes (‘B<->’), then the resulting
> name will be tried in sequence by lower-casing it, as-is, lower-casing

as → keeping it as-is

> then capitalizing (that is upper-casing the first character), and only
> capitalizing.

capitalizing. → capitalizing it

// If you want to optimize, then you can remove the bracketed term

> In addition, for historical and backwards compatibility, the name will
> be tried as-is without non-alphanumeric characters remapping, then
> the resulting name be tried in sequence by lower-casing it, as-is,

name be → name will be

as-is → keeping it as-is

> lower-casing then capitalizing, and only capitalizing.

capitalizing. → capitalizing it.

> And finally the name will be tried by remapping spaces to dashes (‘B<->’),
> then the resulting name will be tried in sequence by lower-casing it,
> as-is, lower-casing then capitalizing, and only capitalizing.

as-is → keeping it as-is
capitalizing. → capitalizing it.

> But these will be removed during the dpkg 1.22.x release cycle.

these → these mappings

With these (editorial) additions I can translate it fine and hopefully
I understand it as well. It really helps, and bits in documentation
are cheap, so being a little more verbose in man pages is really
helpful. (And I know, some man page writers go quite the opposite
direction by repeating and extend quite a bit, but I think we are far
from this here).

Thanks for clarifying!

Greetings

          Helge