Hard to read new paragraph in man page deb-origin

Hello Guillem,
while updating the German man page translation I could not really
understand one paragraph, could you explain it more verbosely?

"The file should be named according to the vendor name.  The usual convention "
"is to name the vendor file using the vendor name in all lowercase, but some "
"variation is permitted.  Namely, non-alphanumeric characters (‘B<[^A-Za-"
"z0-9]>’) are mapped to dashes (‘B<->’), and lower-cased, as-is, lower-cased "
"then capitalized and capitalized (since dpkg 1.21.10).  In addition, for "
"historical and backwards compatibility, the above casing attempts will be "
"tried first as-is with no remapping, and then by remapping spaces to dashes "
"(‘B<->’). But these will be removed during the dpkg 1.22.x release cycle."

I'm fine until:
… mapped to dashes (‘B<->’)

Then we have string of alphanumeric characters and dashes. What
exactly happens to this string? Could you give an example, e.g. how to
transform the (fictious) string
aA-bB

This includes the wording "as is" because either you keep a character
"as is" or you transform it, e.g. by changing the capitalization(?)

Thanks for any explanation!

Greetings

       Helge