Re: Branch for stable?

Hi!

On Tue, 2020-01-07 at 09:28:36 +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> I tried updating it with your script again, and now the branch looks
> fine, however, when I want to push it with your script I get:

I didn't do anything on the branch since I created it though. :)

> helge@samd:/scr/build/src/DCS/dpkg.git/dpkg$ ~/skripte/git-wrapper commit
> ** Pushing your changes to the remote repository.
> Here's a resume of what you're going to push:
> 0ed5b240e Proofreading of German man pages on debian-l10n-german (Part 1b)
> 9d03f2827 po: Regenerate .pot files and merge .po files with them
> 84711ea4a Proofreading of German man pages on debian-l10n-german (Part 1)
> 3fc25a513 German dselect translation update
> 1e86f6e74 German dpkg translation update
> f80b99048 Dpkg::Source::Package: Honor require_valid_signature option
> 92aa74078 po: Remove previous msgids for up-to-date translations
> f2b880791 Update German translation of manual pages
> d102f1905 Update German scripts translation
> 341fa418c Dpkg::Source::Package::V3::Native: Do not say v1.0 for 3.0 formats
> …
> 659e0224d libdpkg: Do not generate a backup file for the available database
> 761d993dd debian: Fold man page translation fix into translation section
> 362c50a9c Further fix as discussed in #931135
> 12d643b04 Update German translation of manual pages
> 06bd9556e Fix German man page translation. Closes: #931135
> 0a1aaac97 Bump version to 1.20.0
> ** Do you confirm that you want to push? [Yn]
>
> Should I push it or is there still something "fishy" on my side?

Yeah, this looks like a botched rebase of all of master into the
1.19.x branch.

Given that I think the strings have already diverged, I'm not sure
cherry-picking translation commits from master will give no conflicts.
So perhaps you'll have a way easier time to untangle this by copying
the .po files that you want to carry over somewhere out of tree, then
reset your local 1.19.x branch with something like:

  # Let's first do a backup to not lose any changes.
  $ git branch -c 1.19.x backup-1.19.x
  $ git checkout 1.19.x
  $ cp man/po/de.po out-of-tree-de.po
  $ git reset --hard origin/1.19.x
  $ cp out-of-tree-de.po man/po/de.po
  $ make -C man update-po
  $ git commit man/po/de.po
  $ git checkout -- man/po

expected and push that. But if you get stuck again we can continue
from there. :)

Thanks,
Guillem