Re: Standardized way of extracting additional build-time artefacts (was: Re: RFC: Standardizing source package artifacts build paths)

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 09:07:57AM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 07:19:59 +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 7:12 AM Niels Thykier wrote:
> > > Standardized way of extracting additional build-time artefacts
> >
> > This reminds me of the BYHAND stuff, I forget how that works though.
[…]
> Similarly, we probably don't want to publish the build products to users
> if the build(-time tests) failed (because we can't be confident that any
> products that were already produced are good), although we might well
> want to make them available through a contributor-oriented interface to
> help to debug the failures; but we do want to publish build and test logs
> to contributors, regardless of success or failure.

And this highlights one important aspect of such interface: such
artifacts would be collected even after a build failure.
That's not possible at all now.

> The .buildinfo file is arguably already in the same category as build
> and test logs. We currently capture it in the .changes file and upload
> it to ftp-master, but it isn't reproducible, and ftp-master doesn't
> republish it through our user-facing interface (the archive). Ideally,
> failed builds would capture their .buildinfo as well as their log for
> subsequent analysis, although I don't know whether they actually do.

That's somewhat of a tough argument, that I'd try to keep separate (it
has to do with the semantic meaning of a .buildinfo (i.e., it tries to
attach a *built artifacts* to the way it was build, a .buildinfo without
any hashes would be quite meaningless when tied to its original meaning.
Also, we do want it to be published, but we are still waiting for the
ftp-masters to tell us their distribution requirements...).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :